Buntús Start is a comprehensive physical activity programme for children aged 2-5 years old. It can also be adapted for older age groups. It has been designed for use in pre-school settings so that pre-school and playgroup leaders can provide a wide range of learning opportunities for young children to develop their fundamental motor skills, manipulative skills, co-ordination and balancing skills and develop a positive attitude to physical activity.
Buntús Start helps adults working with children to establish positive attitudes to activity and a healthy lifestyle through enjoyable activity with children. Buntús Start offers a combination of adult-initiated and child-led activities and enables adults to choose and plan appropriate activities as well as giving children opportunities to freely select and explore. Whilst using Buntús Start children have opportunities to develop naturally through individual involvement in physical play, small group activity and to participate in whole-group activity.
The aim of Buntús Start is:
To extend the physical, creative, personal, social and emotional capabilities of pre-school children through enjoyable, planned, physical development play activities in the areas of spatial awareness, basic motor skills, co-ordination and control skills and aiming, predicting and estimating skills.
Buntús Start offers a wealth of physical learning opportunities to enable children realise their potential and to become active and independent learners through play. Buntús Start activities help children’s learning in other curriculum areas by supporting and developing the following:
- Personal, social and emotional well being
- Social and creative skills
- Attention skills and persistence
- Language and communication
- Reading, writing and maths
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Creative development
Buntús Start Training Programme:
Participants attend six hours of training. Training will take place in a central venue. All staff must attend training. The objectives of the training are that by the end of the session participants would:
- Have an appreciation of the Buntús equipment
- Be familiar with the Buntús Start resource cards, their format and layout, and their use with pre-school children
- Be able to extend their understanding of fundamental motor skills
- Be able to develop their understanding of inclusion and safe practice
The training session is designed to be practical and participatory. Buntús tutors deliver the training to participants. The tutors will deliver the training through a variety of activities, inputs, small group exercises and full group discussion. Links will be made to children’s stages of development and to methods of skills development. Participants will be introduced to:
- Warm-ups and cool down activities
- Spatial Awareness Activities
- Motor Skills Activities
- Co-ordination and Control Activities
- Aiming/Predicting/Estimating Activities
- Extending and modifying activities
At the end of the training session, each participating centre will be provided with a set of resource cards and a Buntús Start bag of equipment.
The Buntus Start Programme is currently on hold due funding not being available.